Friday, April 13

Should Anatomy Matter?

  In her March 30th blog, Wife of a Veteran discussed same sex marriage and how she has changed her opinion recently from being against it, to supporting it. I wish I could read the article she mentions because it seems interesting, but there is no link. All in all, It seems her opinion is a well considered one, and that she has questioned and challenged her own opinion of this topic to come to her final, very accepting conclusion. I think the subject matter was well covered, although there are few angles I'd have liked to know her opinion of (ex: the legal aspects of marriage and why same sex marriage is an issue in that arena). Throughout her post the point I enjoyed most (which I have translated into my own words) was: Men and women have been trivializing marriage for a long time now! All we have to show for the so called "sanctity" of marriage is what movie stars do with it and the very scary divorce rate. This led me to the conclusion: Who cares if they have the same anatomy? Why does it even matter anymore? If two people want to commit to stand next to each other for the rest of their lives... I cant see a reason to say no. I also cant see any reason to take away the legal and financial benefits of getting married when, in the end, that's all just paperwork anyway.

   I have to say, even though it was a relatively short post, I feel enlightened having read her blog, and I look forward to what she writes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment